IntoTheMacabre

IntoTheMacabre

The Jack in the Green - Frazer Lee

The Jack in the Green - Frazer Lee

Mild-mannered Tom McRae keeps having the same night terrors over and over. He keeps reliving that horrific morning when he was six and his parents were brutally murdered. His wife isn't able to provide any relief. She's trying to recover from her own nightmare of having a miscarriage and is in a semi-catatonic state from all of the meds she's on. Tom's boss sends him to Scotland to secure a large tract of land to be used in extracting biofuels. The small village of Douglass isn't too keen on the idea of someone coming in and hacking down all of their trees. They still cling to pagan rituals and celebrate their holidays, such as Samhain. On top of that, a group of hippy protestors also have a beef with the whole thing. Last, but certainly not least, Tom is stuck with his overbearing and obnoxious co-worker, Dieter along for the ride. Tom's nightmares begin to spill over into his time in Douglass when he's not sleeping and he begins to question his sanity. Is Douglass more than it appears or is Tom losing his mind?

Frazer Lee slowly unravels this tale with a sophisticated voice and a nice vocabulary. Tom seems like a sad sack that you can't quite put your finger on whats going on. This was turning out to be a solid 4-star read before it ground to a halt towards the end and then the "tie-it-all-together" ending felt too rushed to me. Almost as if the story ran out and there wasn't a better way to explain things, so lets just throw all our cards down and show you our hand. Or, I wonder if this story suffered from the dreaded editors knife in an attempt to keep it under so many words for the publisher. This dropped it down to a 3 1/2 stars for me. Other than that, Lee can write his ass off. I have no doubt I'll be reading much more from the Brit. Theres a reason he was nominated for a Bram Stoker Award. In The Jack in the Green, you can see why.

3 1/2 Jack and Jills out of 5

You can also follow my reviews at the following links: